Under the UAS Fund, NICTA implements UAS Programs during identified planning periods. Under the current planning period from 2018 -2022, the following programs are under implementation.
Program 1: Mobile Broadband Network Upgrade and Expansion
Program 2: Community and Institutional Broadband Networks
Program 3: ICT Platform for Future Growth
Program 4: Expansion Broadcasting Network Coverage
In general, the Programs are implemented through a series of Projects, which NICTA has designed in consultation with relevant stakeholders and officials. Where appropriate, projects may combine elements of multiple programs within certain geographic areas. All projects, and overall UAS Fund operating plans, take account of available financial, technical, and human resources
The following principles have been formulated to provide focus and guidance in implementation of UAS Programs and projects
- Co-location/infrastructure Sharing: It shall be obligatory for operators/service providers to share all infrastructure funded by the UAS with other operators/service providers at reasonable prices to ensure the UAS does not fund the creation of local monopolies.
- Social Inclusion: All UASF projects shall be designed and implemented in a manner which ensures equitable access to ICT services by vulnerable groups and disadvantaged interests i.e. the elderly, physically challenged, women and children in the community.
- Geographic Coverage: UAS programs and projects will be developed for provinces, wards, and will provide service to un-served and underserved areas and communities.
- Promote Private Sector Investment: UAS programs and projects will stimulate increased private sector investments in un-served and underserved areas.
- Encourage Competition: UAS programs and projects will encourage competition, as much as possible, between operators and by using transparent and competitive mechanisms to allocate UAS financing and subsidies.
- Promote Consumer Interest: UAS programs and projects will promote consumer interest by facilitating access to affordable, readily available and reliable ICT services.
- Sustainability: the UAS will give priority to programs and projects that are self-sustaining and do not require subsidies on continuous basis.
- Foster Economic and Social Development: UAS programs and projects will stimulate productive use of ICTs for economic, social and cultural development.
- Consultation, Transparency and Accountability: the UAS will develop and periodically update its programs and projects through public consultations with all key public, private and civil society stakeholders.
- Quality of Service: the UAS will enforce compliance with quality of service standards with respect to its projects
- Technology Neutrality: UAS programs and projects will be guided by the principle of technology neutrality and allow the market place to define the best technology solutions.